Friday, August 5, 2011

Saving on Organic Beef

Finding deal on organic meat can be a challenge. But the taste and the health benefits make it worthwhiled for my family. Last year, we ordered a sample box of organic, grass fed beef from Baron Farms in Wapato, WA. This farm is located about 150 miles from our home, which makes it a somewhat local product in my eyes.

We were so impressed with our sample box that we decided to purchase an eighth of a cow. I love that this is an option because we don't have the freezer space for more. The price is $4.39 per pound and based on the hanging weight of the cow (the whole cow). The price goes down if you purchase a 1/4, 1/2 or whole cow so I'm hoping to split it with someone next time around.

All the meat comes wrapped and labeled and in a freezer box.


We have an extra fridge/freezer and our eighth of a cow fit perfectly in the freezer.

The eighth of a cow includes:

2 or 3 Tenderloin steaks cut to approx. 8 oz.
2 or 3 New York Strip steaks cut 10-12 oz.
2 or 3 Rib-eye steaks cut 12-14 oz.
2 Sirloin steaks cut from 12-16 oz.
2 Sirloin Tip steaks cut 12-16 oz.
2 to 3 Cube steaks cut to 10-14 oz.
2 Chuck roasts cut to 2.5-3.5 lbs.
1 Rump roasts cut to 2.5-3.5 lbs.
1 Top Round roasts cut to approx. 3 lbs
18-20 lbs of lean ground beef packaged in 1+ lb plastic tubes.
Brisket, a Tri-Tip, or Flank cut to approx. 3 lbs.
1 lb of Stir Fry/Fajita meat
1 lb of Kabob meat
2-3 lbs of Short ribs
1 lb Soup Bones


We ended up 50 lbs of beef for just under $300, which works out to $5.86 per pound. We don't eat a ton of beef, so this will likely last us 8 or 9 months. Of course, I could buy conventionally meat for less but this one area I am willing to splurge.

I love having a freezer stocked with meat that I can build my menu plan around. Next up, I need to find a good source for organic chicken. Any suggestions?

P.S. No one paid me to say these things. I just love this product and wanted to share. But if they wanted to pay me, I'd take another tri-tip :)

5 comments:

  1. We keep considering this but never follow through. I definitely want to check out that sample box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should all give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for a source for local/organic/grass-fed beef.

    ReplyDelete