Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Stockpile Chef

Welcome to the first installment in what I hope will become a regular feature on the blog, "The Stockpile Chef". I will be sharing recipes that mainly use ingredients that I have in my stockpile (and hopefully you do too).

As much as I try and meal plan, some weeks it just doesn't happen. But with a well stocked pantry and freezer and usually a quick trip to the produce stand, I can generally come up with a pretty good variety of meals. We always have chicken breast (either from Costco or Zaycon Foods) and beef (ground and other cuts). We have been buying our beef from Baron Farms. It is more expensive, but it is worth the extra expense for us.

Obviously, I can't stockpile fresh fruits and vegetables but I always buy a basic ingredients that I know we will use (salad fixings, onions, garlic, apples, bananas, etc). Then I add in whatever is in season and build my menu around those items.

On to the recipe...Swiss Steak Quick and Easy. The only thing I had to purchase for this recipe was the mushrooms.

Photo and Recipe from AllRecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 pounds cube steaks, pounded thin and cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 (1.2 ounce) package brown gravy mix
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
  • 1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles

Directions

  1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Dredge steak strips in flour. Working in batches, place strips in hot oil. Fry until browned on both sides. Remove to a warm platter. When all meat is browned, return meat to Dutch oven, and stir in onions, mushrooms, salt, pepper, gravy mix, and stewed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer about 30 to 45 minutes.
  2. About 20 minutes before steak is finished, fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes; drain.
  3. Serve Swiss steak over noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment