Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Stockpile Chef: Moroccan Carrot-Chickpea Salad


So admittedly, you would need to have a VERY well stocked pantry for this recipe to be considered a true "stockpile" recipe. But it was so delicious, I had to share. It has a really fresh flavor and a great combination of textures. This may be my new "go to" summer salad. I may need to add mint and cilantro to my garden so I will always have them on hand.

Photo from rachaelraymag.com

Moroccan Carrot-Chickpea Salad

Ingredients:

  • 1 lemon, finely zested and juiced
  • 1 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • Salt
  • 1/2 cup EVOO
  • 1 1/2 lbs. carrots, coarsely grated (I used a package of shredded carrots)
  • 2 cans (15 oz. each) chickpeas, rinsed
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins (I used regular because I had them on hand)
  • 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted cashews, coarsely chopped
  • 1/3 cup coarsely chopped cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint

Directions:

  1. In a large bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice, coriander, cayenne and 1 1/4 tsp. salt; whisk in the EVOO.
  2. Stir in the carrots, chickpeas, raisins, cashews, chopped cilantro and mint; toss to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Top with the cilantro leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment