Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Shopping Tip: Unit Price


Every good grocery shopper knows the importance of paying attention to unit prices. This is the small (sometimes teeny tiny) price listed on a price tag that tells you the price per ounce/pound/can or some other increment. Paying attention to this price is key to making sure you are getting the most for your money.

I went to Albertson's this weekend to pickup some Coffeemate liquid creamer that was on sale (not a great sale, but I was out and consider this to be an absolutely life necessity). The 32oz containers were on sale for $3.99 and the 16oz containers were on sale for $1.99. A quick glance at the unit price on the price tag showed me that the price per ounce was essential the same ($0.12/oz).

I had two $.75/1 coupons that could be used on any container larger than 15oz. If I had bought the bigger container, I would have only been able to use one coupon. But by buying two smaller containers, I was able to use both coupons and save myself an extra $0.75. Not huge, but every little bit helps.

When comparing unit prices, make sure the tags are using the same increment. For example, some soda tags list the unit price per ounce while others list it per can. Also, sometimes a sale price tag won't list the unit price. Take the time to pull out your calculator and do the math to make sure you are getting the best deal.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, so important to pay attention to this! Packaging and size from one brand to the next, even from one item to the next can be so misleading.

    ReplyDelete